About Us

We are two Board Certified Pediatricians and parents like you.

Naline Lai, MD FAAP earned her undergraduate degree at Brown University. She graduated from University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine in 1994 where she received the John R. Reinhart MD award for excellence in pediatrics and child psychiatry and the Sheehan/Laird Memorial Prize awarded in recognition of compassion and respect in patient interactions.

Julie Kardos, MD FAAP  earned her undergraduate degree at Duke University. She graduated from Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine in 1994 where she received the Pediatric Award for her “excellence and compassion in caring for children and their families.”

Drs. Kardos and Lai met each other during their pediatric residency training at The Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia. Both are married and each has three children. In practice for over fifteen years, they are board certified pediatricians at The Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia Care Network-Newtown in Bucks County, PA. The doctors are on staff at St Mary Medical Center and Lower Bucks Hospital, in Bucks County, Pennsylvania. Dr. Lai additionally serves on staff at Doylestown Hospital, PA. She is on the board of directors for CBCares, The founding board of the Bucks County Children’s Museum and the advisory board of Child Home and Community.

They are frequent speakers at venues ranging from living rooms to conventions centers. Most recently in 2012 they spoke to physicians at The Atlantic Regional Osteopathic Conference and to early childhood education teachers at Delaware Valley Association for the Education of Young Children Conference.

Parents often have questions about their children outside of office visits and often turn to the internet for answers. Because we are both practicing pediatricians as well as moms who stand at the bus stop, we know that there is a lot that goes on between yearly check-ups. To fill the gaps, this blog/podcast site was born.

We’d love to hear from you! Please email us at Twopedsinapod@gmail.com. Let us know what you think of our podcasts and posts.  Please tell us what other topics you would be interested in.

We are also happy to go to your parenting groups to talk about any area of pediatrics. Have your Hour with the Experts! Possible topics include: normal growth and development of any age group, potty training, feeding/eating issues, tantrums, sleep issues, discipline, allergies, asthma, ADHD, puberty, twin issues, or anything else of interest to you. We'll record the discussion and turn excerpts into a podcast.

Right now, the kitchen table is both our recording studio and editing desk. We are grateful for our opportunity to interview on National Public Radio with Robin Young on Here and Now . We appreciate reporters who helped spread the word in the Bucks County Herald, Philadelphia Magazine, the Bucks County Courier Times Phillyburbs, and the Newtown Patch. We thank Laura Diamond for publishing us in the California Magazine Group (we’re on page 16) and the folks at Real Simple magazine for allowing us to help with one of their articles. Ultimately, however, we depend on you, our readers, to tell other parents about us.

Thanks for joining us on this adventure.

Drs. Kardos and Lai

What did you think of this article?

Trackbacks
  • Trackbacks are closed for this post.
Comments

• 11/21/2010 5:44 PM David Fleece MD wrote:
    Hey there! Let me congratulate you both on an creating a pediatric blog. I am a general pediatrician at Temple, and heard about this from my wife. I checked it out at the end of October for the 1st time.

Again, it's a good thing you're doing, but I feel I have to comment on the Halloween/candy post. It contained various 'helpful' suggestions from parents on how deal w/ the candy deluge that is Halloween. I have to say, I found a few of them inane, and one borderline abusive (psychologically). The one about letting your kids eat as much as they want/can on 10/31, and throwing out the rest. Great - teach your kid to binge, and that it's ok to waste perfectly good food. The one that really got me tweaked was the mother who allegedly schedules her kid's dental appts for 11/1. WTF?????? What's the lesson here? That eating candy causes caries within 24hr? That you should have guilt on 10/31 for eating candy, and that the 11/1 visit to the dentist is like going to confession? That somehow a child will have some sort of anticipatory shame assoc w/ eating candy, and the thought of the impending dental visit will moderate their intake?

Basically, I find the entire anxiety thing about candy (esp. on Halloween, for God's sake!!)misplaced. You know as well as I that almost any food, in moderation, is fine, and that by demonizing candy, or elevating it to some menace, we aren't doing our kids any favors. I could go on and on about kids, food, nutrition, etc, but I don't want to bore you. I realize the point of the post was to give parents some ideas on how to incorporate the large influx of candy into their kids nutritional lives in a way that doesn't create sugar monsters, and I understand and support that general goal.

The whole point of my email is to urge you, as you continue in a position of expertise and authority via this blog, to be a bit more critical and thoughtful on what you put out there. Again, we all know how susceptible parents are to 'expert advice' and things read on the internet. Thanks...hope I didn't offend.
  • 12/14/2010 9:16 AM Heidi Haldeman wrote:
    Hello Dr. Kardos, I am a local School Nurse and I take my children to your practice. I think this site is awesome. Congratulations. Here is my in-between doc visits question. My 7 year old daughter has a terrible time falling asleep at night. I have always been the sleep police with the same CD in their rooms since they were infants and air filters for white noise. Baths/reading before bed, all of it. I know what to do and do it. Of course, no sugar/caffeine. She is a very happy child and does not seem tired during the day. She used to go to bed at 8/8:30. She needs to be up in the morning at 7:30. I never needed to wake her up. She is a night owl, I am finding, and even after bath, etc..in bed with a book and a book light (filter on, music on, lights out, laying down), she can lay there until 9:30-10p WIDE AWAKE. Like I said, happy little girl even when I wake her up. She used to do this once in a while, but then would really crash. Now, every night she has a hard time. I have to wake her nearly every morning, and on the weekend I let her sleep because I think she is sleep deprived. She will sleep until 9am on the weekend. So, worst case scenario she is falling asleep at 10 and up at 7:30. 9 1/2 hours. What to do. No snoring or anything like that. Sleeps like a baby, once she falls asleep. Help. Thank you so much.
  • 2/17/2011 8:05 AM Amy King wrote:
    Hi Naline!

I have a great resource for parents that I wanted to pass on to you and Julie.

On-The-Go language and early literacy activities for infants and toddlers! They can be found at www.walearning.com

I highly recommend them to all my parents!
  • 9/9/2011 3:16 PM caity wrote:
    my son turned 2 yesturday and for 2 weeks he hasn't been sleeping often he plays none stop all day with no nap then i lay him down at 8pm and am up till 2 am trying to get him to sleep then hes back up first thing he runs none stop and sometimes doesnt hear me and i don't trust his doctor she has missdiagnosed him and several other children i know and ive tried getting him in somewhere else but no one returns my phone calls could he have adhd his father has it and he can get bad and as a child he was terrible. im going crazy!!!!!
  • 11/3/2012 1:59 PM LATREIA wrote:
    Hi Drs, first of all, I would like to say that I am so glad for the place to share children's concern.
    My girl is now 25 months old, as no kindy wanys to take her inwhen she was about 20 months old, I home-school her.
    She knows all alphabets, numbers 1-10, all shapes/colors,more than 100 words/characters each in Eng/Chinese.
    I would like to know if there is any centre of specialisation for her as I went to a Kumon centre & the teacher said what my girl knows is beyond Grade 1.But same thing,she cant be enrolled till she is 4.I am very disappointed as I know early childhood education is very essential.Please let me know how to/where to find specialist for this area for a 2 year old. Thanks & appreciation from me !
    1. 11/4/2012 7:47 PM Two Peds in a Pod wrote:
      Latreia, We're glad you found us. Although we can not give specific advice for your daughter, this organization will help you in your search for quality early childhood education. NAEYC (National Association for the Education of Young Children) is "NAEYC is the leading membership association for those working with and on behalf of children from birth through age 8. NAEYC convenes thought leaders, teachers and other practitioners, researchers, and other stakeholders and sets standards of excellence for programs and teachers in early childhood education. NAEYC members include teachers, paraeducators, center directors, trainers, college educators, families of young children, and the public at large." find NAEYC at http://families.naeyc.org
  • 11/6/2012 11:22 AM LATREIA wrote:
    Thanks alot for your recommending of NAEYC ! cheers...